Kandi has been a very important part of EDM culture for years. When I first got introduced to raving, one of the first things I was taught was how to make kandi and trade with people using the PLUR handshake. If you attend an event with the intention to meet people, trading kandi can help you make new friends. Whether you are new to the community or a veteran raver, trading kandi is special for many people. Here is a tutorial on how to make kandi bracelets, perlers, and some videos on YouTube if you want to challenge yourself and make kandi cuffs!
Photo Credit: @liyakitten
Photo Credit: @kandi_diva
Decorative Beads (could be made of wood, glass, plastic, etc)
- Take your elastic string and wrap it around your wrist to see approximately how much string you will need for one bracelet. Cut the desired amount with some extra string so that it is easy to adjust later
- Decide on a pattern that you want for your bracelet, or if you want any words on them. Some words I personally like to use for singles are “PLUR”, “rave girl”, name of the festival, or artist names.
- Put the beads through the string. Put desired letters in the middle and equal number of pony and decorative beads on both sides of the letters. A good number of beads to have on a bracelet is around 30.
- Tie the string off at the end, double knotting is recommended. Cut off excess string.
- Trade your kandi with someone at a show or festival!
Since there are many types of kandi cuffs, here are some Youtube tutorials for them that are very easy to follow!
Photo Credit: @liyakitten
Perler Beads (usually sold at craft stores)
Beads for necklace
- Pick a pattern to use for your project. A good place to look for patterns are Google and Pinterest if you are looking for anything specific. If you are wanting to turn an image into a pattern, websites such as Beadifier lets you upload your own image to create a pattern.
Lay your perler pegboard on a flat work surface. Start with the dark outline first to make sure your design fits on the board. If you have the large tub of perler beads, separating your colors before you start your project will make this process a lot easier!
Fill in the rest with your perler beads. You can either follow the pattern or be creative and use completely different colors.
Once you have all the beads laid out on the board and it’s ready to be melted, lay masking tape on top of your project. Go slow on this step (I’ve messed up many projects up rushing through this), and make sure you press down on the tape to make sure the beads are stuck to it. Use a needle and poke holes over the tape. This step is optional but highly recommended. Melting your project direct on the pegboard can warp your board over time.
- Slowly and carefully peel the edges of the tape off and flip the pegboard. For bigger projects, it’s highly recommended to flip your piece with cardboard on the other side for stability.
Lay your project on a flat surface with the taped side down and lay parchment paper on top of your perler. Plug the iron in and set it to low/medium heat and melt the beads over the parchment paper by moving the iron in slow, circular motions.
Once the beads are melted (the holes in the beads will look smaller), carefully take the tape off, flip your project and repeat step 6.
Wait for perler to cool down. Put flat, heavy objects such as books on top of it so the perler will be flat when it cools.
Poke two holes on the top of the perler, one on each side. Cut a long piece of elastic string and string it through one of the holes so the string folds in half. Put beads through both strings but make sure to leave some room at the end of it so you can tie it. Then string one side of the string through the second hole and make a knot.
- Your perler necklace is done! Take it to a rave or festival and trade it with someone you vibe with!
Halloween is fast approaching, and we all know the best part of this holiday is choosing the ultimate costumes! As ravers, we are no strangers to dressing up, and Halloween is an awesome time to show off our style skills. There are so many directions you can go in when deciding what to be for Halloween, so we’re giving you some suggestions to make your decision a little easier.
Out Of This World
Extraterrestrial themes are huge in the rave world, and Halloween is the best excuse to dress up as a sexy alien or a house-loving astronaut. There are also a ton of opportunities for couples and group costumes that fit this theme! Build an alien squad with your friends in the Cosmic Chaos Alien Costume and the Solstice Kiss Holo Set, or explore the unknown in matching astronaut suits. Add some glitter, and you will surely have an out-of-this-world Halloween experience!
Embrace Your Wild Side
Feeling wild this spooky season? Cowgirl costumes are super cute and perfect for any Halloween event. Embrace your wild side and let loose with a cowboy hat and your best chaps, or make it glam!
Certain costumes will never go out of style. Classic costumes come back every year because they are timeless. If you’re feeling scary this Halloween, try a holographic skeleton or a seductive devil costume. If you’re going for a flirtier vibe, you can never go wrong with the Team Techno Cheerleader outfit. This fit is a fun take on the basic cheerleader costume! You can make any of the classics your own with glitter, accessories, and other modern twists.
Have a legendary Halloween dressed as your favorite mythical creature! Fairies, elves and unicorns are not only charming characters, but they are also very trendy right now. These Fractal Fantasy Fairy Wings will transform any outfit into an enchanting fairy ensemble. You could also pair this Rainbow Unicorn Costume with some sparkly fishnets for a dazzling festival look!
Ravers love to dress up year-round. But if there's one thing that we don't get to do often, it's bring the spooky vibes with scary costumes around Halloween! This time of year is the perfect time to show off your spooky side, with costumes that are gory, creepy, or all around terrifying.
No matter what you decide to be this year, you can’t go wrong. As long as you’re feeling like your best self, you’re going to slay this Halloween!