Although festivals are being canceled and rescheduled across the world, ravers have been fortunate enough to still experience some aspects of raving through festivals via Live Streams. But, what about taking it one step further and hosting a drive-in rave? Well, welcome to the future - drive-in festivals are officially happening across the country!
The drive-in rave concept is similar to that of a drive-in movie theater, except instead of watching a film, you can watch a live set from the comfort and safety of your car.
So, what do you need to know about drive-in festivals? We’ve got you covered in this article!
Where are drive-in raves happening in the US?
No Parking on the Dance Floor - Houston Edition
When: Saturday, August 1st
Where: Showboat Drive-In, Houston
Subtronics & Calcium Drive-In
When: August 29
Where: Alameda County Fairgrounds, California
Learn more & get your tickets here.
How to Maximize You Car Rave Experience-
Just like any other EDM event, this is the perfect opportunity to get creative! Think of your car as your campground for the evening. Here are some ideas to 'pimp your ride'!
- Make it fun by bringing some LED lights or holiday lights that are battery operated!
- While you likely can’t have an actual totem at the event (check the event pages for official rules & FAQs), you can still keep the totem spirit alive by decorating some signs and putting them up in your car window (once you are safely parked)!
- Since you’ll be sitting for a long time, I’d recommend bringing some comfy, fuzzy cushions to relax on.
- If you’re bringing an SUV, put the first row of seats down to maximize leg room!
What to Wear to a Drive-in Rave?
Most drive-in raves have a designated dancing area outside of your car, so you can plan to dance your heart away during the event! Any 'fits from the drive-in raves collection will work perfectly!
Still need more outfit inspo? Check out the Drive-in- Raves Collection.
What are the Rules of Drive-In Raving?
Rules may vary from event to event, so I highly recommend checking out the event website, but here are some key points:
- All cars must be turned off once parked.
- Minimum of 2 people in the vehicle. MAX OF 6! No RVs, campers, etc
- Guests are typically allowed to bring their own water, snacks and beverages.
- You must always follow traffic laws, this includes open containers of alcohol.
- NO uber/lyft drop offs will be allowed. Everyone must arrive in a vehicle with a parking permit and ticket.
- You can not dance or group with anyone outside of your vehicle.
- You will be asked to leave if you do not comply with event rules.
- There will be NO alcohol sold on site.
While it's a major bummer that so many festivals are canceled, it is cool to be a part of raver history with this new concept of drive-in raving! I hope everybody has a great time, and stays safe and has fun!!